Alpha DevCon 2018
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turn off Display of all Toolbars and Menus from distributed Application

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Default Turn off Display of all Toolbars and Menus from distributed Application

Is there a way to turn the display off for all System Menus and Toolbars in one place or do I have to enter each Form, go to Properities, go to Menus / Toolbars and select "none" for each view?

I want the end user of my distributed application to enter, process and exit via my buttons, period.

Thanks,
    Rudy

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Default Re: Turn off Display of all Toolbars and Menus from distributed Application

Quote Originally Posted by Rudy16 View Post
    Is there a way to turn the display off for all System Menus and Toolbars in one place? ...
    No. But I would bet that some bright guru (that's not me!) could write a script that would do them all at once.

Raymond Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Default Re: Turn off Display of all Toolbars and Menus from distributed Application

Is that a challenge?

What's it worth? Huh? Huh?

I think I could create something that will change whatever menu/toolbars you choose to whatever name you choose in whatever forms you choose but it'll take a couple hours to build it. (Of course, any custom menu/toolbar name will have to exist before you can select it.) One of my other routines should give me a basis to start from for this one.
    Last edited by CALocklin; 05-24-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Cal,

I think he doesn't want ANY menus or toolbars. He just doesn't want to open each form and turn them off individually.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by CALocklin View Post
    Is that a challenge?

What's it worth? Huh? Huh? ....
    Hi Cal,

I am sure you (among others) could do it (I have a couple of your utilities and in time savings they have been worth far more than I paid for them). Indeed, I think I could do it too but it is not worth anything to me since I have never wanted what Rudy wants. Maybe it would be worth enough to Rudy for him to pay for a couple of hours of your time?

Ray Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    Cal,

I think he doesn't want ANY menus or toolbars. He just doesn't want to open each form and turn them off individually.
    Yep - that's "<None>".

You can't actually leave a menu or toolbar blank. If you do, it switches to <System Default> when you close the Properties dialog.

I'm just thinking that if I make something that can change them all to <None>, why not also allow them to be changed to whatever you want? I'm picturing a dialog with the ability to select which forms are to be modified and a list of all 9 menu/toolbar types which can be set individually. Each name field would include a drop-down listing all available menu/toolbar names. So, you could say, for example, "Change all View menus to 'MyViewMenu' on forms A, B, C, G, and L and at the same time, set the Right Click menu to <None> on those same forms." Or, you could select all forms, set the all the menu bars to <None> and set all the View Toolbars to "MyViewToolbar" without changing the other toolbars. (I often leave out the menu bar but use a custom toolbar. Automating the process would be nice.)

Maybe tomorrow. Right now I have to go mow the lawn. (a.k.a., cut the hay - it's been awhile).

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

If you want to change all 9 form properties (shown below) to <none> then the following code should do what you want I think - I haven't tested it, so no guarantees.

Code:
    'Change All Menus & Toolbars In All Forms Form Properties To  <none>
    DIM ptr as P
    DIM FormList as C
    FormList = a5.Form_Enum()
    FOR EACH FrmNam in FormList
    	ptr = a5_layout_design(FrmNam,"Form")
    	ptr.drop_down_menu = "<none>"
    	ptr.right_click_menu = "<none>"
    	ptr.query_by_form_drop_down_menu = "<none>"
    	ptr.query_by_form_right_click_menu = "<none>"
    	ptr.find_by_form_drop_down_menu = "<none>"
    	ptr.find_by_form_right_click_menu = "<none>"
    	ptr.toolbar = "<none>"
    	ptr.query_by_form_toolbar = "<none>"
    	ptr.find_by_form_toolbar = "<none>"
    	ptr.set_dirty()
    	ptr.command("file_save")
    	ptr.close()
    	xbasic_wait_for_idle()
    NEXT
    Last edited by ChrisHawkes; 05-24-2009 at 07:21 PM.
    If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHawkes View Post
    If you want to change all 9 form properties (shown below) to <none> then the following code should do what you want I think - I haven't tested it, so no guarantees.

Code:
    DIM ptr as P
    DIM FormList as C
    FormList = a5.Form_Enum()
    	ptr.toolbar = "<none>"
    	ptr.set_dirty()
    	ptr.command("file_save")
    	ptr.close()
    	xbasic_wait_for_idle()
    NEXT

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Peter was right on. The only control in my application is what I set up. The more the user can do, the easier it is to mess up.

Thanks for your code example Chris. I'll test it out later on.
    I actually went into every Form, Report, and Label module in my application and changed it manually.

Going forward, as I create new ones, I'll make the necessary changes as I go along. It's no big deal then. For all reports, I use a Custom Print/Preview Menu however, for all others I supply the application controls via buttons and Code.

Perhaps in future upgrades, they can build in, up front, defaults prior to creating any Forms, Reports or Labels simply by presenting you with all the views once which you can select and save.

My thanks to everyone who read and contributed to this request.

Rudy

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Yep - that's "<None>".

You can't actually leave a menu or toolbar blank. If you do, it switches to <System Default> when you close the Properties dialog.
    Cal,

Is that a v9 default? I'm pretty sure in v8 and elsewhere, you can set <none> if you want.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

OK. I see what you are saying: "none" vs. "blank". Anyway, he wants <none>.

Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Wacky whack-a-ma-tack

Hey Chris,

I tested it in v8 and it works - sort of.

i.e. it does set all the forms to <none>, but look at the wacky results you get when you run the code - see attached screen shot...

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

Hi Peter

As I said, I haven't tried it. I wrote the code off the top of my head. When time allows I'll have a look at it.

Thanks for letting me know.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Or try this new, free addin I created.

Since this addin would be for developer use only, it is installed to the addins_installed folder and activated by right clicking in the Forms tab of the A5 Control Panel.

See a demo.

Yes, this uses the same basic routines that Chris listed above. I just added some usability features.

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

Updated script for completeness - Tested this on 60 forms in v8 with no problems.

Code:
    DIM ptr as P
    DIM FormList as C
    FormList = a5.Form_Enum(2)
     ptr.Command("system_design")
     '***Copy Existing Properties Of Form That Automatically Change When Form Is Saved
     vForm_Width = ptr.form_width
     vForm_Height = ptr.form_height
     vWindow_Height_mode = ptr.window.height_mode
     vWindow_Width_mode = ptr.window.width_mode
     vWindow_allow_maximize = ptr.window.allow_maximize
     vWindow_allow_minimize = ptr.window.allow_minimize
     vWindow_allow_resize = ptr.window.allow_resize
     vWindow_has_caption = ptr.window.has_caption
     vWindow_has_system_menu = ptr.window.has_system_menu
     '***
     ptr.toolbar = "<none>"
     '***Put Back Properties Of Form That Automatically Change When Form Is Saved
     ptr.form_height = vForm_Height
     ptr.form_width = vForm_Width
     ptr.window.height_mode = vWindow_Height_mode
     ptr.window.width_mode = vWindow_Width_mode
     ptr.window.allow_maximize = vWindow_allow_maximize
     ptr.window.allow_minimize = vWindow_allow_minimize
     ptr.window.allow_resize = vWindow_allow_resize
     ptr.window.has_caption = vWindow_has_caption
     ptr.window.has_system_menu = vWindow_has_system_menu
     '***
     ptr.set_dirty()
     ptr.command("file_save")
     ptr.close()
     sleep(0.25)
     xbasic_wait_for_idle()
    NEXT
    Cal
    As usual you've come up with an ideal solution. One suggestion if I may, could you reduce the width for those who are still working on standard screen sizes (IOW not widescreen).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

.... One suggestion if I may, could you reduce the width for those who are still working on standard screen sizes (IOW not widescreen).
    And those of us who have returned our widescreens monitors because we hate them! Yeah, I know, soon there won't be any "standard screen sizes" but until then!

Ray

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Cal
    As usual you've come up with an ideal solution. One suggestion if I may, could you reduce the width for those who are still working on standard screen sizes (IOW not widescreen).
    That was one of my concerns. How much should I reduce it? I thought it was just enough to fit a 1024x768 screen but I see it's a bit larger. Would it be acceptable if it fits a 1024 screen size?

If it has to be any smaller, I'd probably have to create a tabbed dialog with the form selection on one tab and the menu/toolbar selection on the second tab. That's not a big deal - I just like to see it all on one screen if possible.

Also, does anybody here use custom menus or toolbars that are NOT stored in the main .adb file's library? In other words, do you use, for example, a "std_code.alb" library that is included with your app to store the custom menu/toolbars? This is part of the reason for the width - I included the full path to the forms and menu/toolbars rather than assuming they would always be part of the main app and in the same folder as the .adb file. It could be quite a bit narrower if we didn't have to be concerned with the full path.

Later:

I thought about it a bit and decided to change it so it would fit on a smaller screen but I'm still working on some details regarding duplicate form names and forms not in the .adb folder.
    Last edited by CALocklin; 05-25-2009 at 05:40 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

1024x768 would work for me--though I should not really count since I do not think I'll ever have any use for the utility (but one never knows!).

Ray Lyons

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

Cal

I think if you reduce the indent on the menu/toolbar selection by 3 characters and reduce the width of the buttons by 1 character each it would fit on the screen as is. Personally, I would rather have just the form name displayed in the list, but that's just me.

1024 x 768 is probably still the most used resolution, although I still have 1 app out there that it 640 x 480 (yuck!).

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

I ran out of time to edit the last post.

I decided to change it so it would change widths based on the need. It should now fit on an 800x600 screen if there are no duplicated form names. Otherwise it should fit a 1024x768 screen. (The display has to be wider when there are duplicate form names because you need to be able to see the table/set it is attached to. Even that may be difficult if you have really long paths. Of course, duplicate form names is usually a sign of something that needs to be fixed anyway.)

I also DIMed all the variables so it shouldn't interfere with anything else you are doing.

Just use the same link above to reinstall it.

Just FWIW: This "simple" addin probably took me 2 hours initially, another 1/2 hour to set up the install routine, and another 2-1/2 hours to finesse. Not complaining - I enjoy the challenge. I'm just pointing it out for anyone who thinks these things are easy - after all, the basic routine above was really simple. The basic concept may be easy but putting it all together so anybody can use it often takes far longer than setting up the basic routine. The final function is about 280 lines and includes checks for (1) no forms in the app, (2) duplicate form names, (3) open forms, and (4) users who click the OK button without (a) selecting a form or (b) selecting a menu/toolbar or (c) without naming one of the selected menu/toolbars.

Chris - As you can see now, I agree about the form names. That was part of what I was looking at when I said above that I was "working on some details". I had to figure out just when the full path was needed. It turns out it's only needed for duplicate names. Even if the form is part of a table in a different folder, it still works with just the name as long as it's not a duplicate name. This is another example of why it takes so long. Plus, as part of the "are any forms still open" check, I had to remove any paths from the a5.Form_Enum(2) listing because a5_list_open_windows() never includes the path. In the past I've tried to do this with a simple check for "is the form name included in the a5_list_open_windows() list" but that can be an issue when a form name ends up being "embedded" in one of the other window names - BTDT. So, my routine has to look for an exact match to a complete line.
    Last edited by CALocklin; 05-25-2009 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Can't spell.

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

Cal

The screen looks great now.

Using my version of Alpha v8, there is a problem running your function. I don't know how much you tested it, but some of the form settings are changed that shouldn't be- the same problem my original script above had. If you take a look at my revised script above you will see what I mean. Of course, the problem may not exist for anyone else.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Where have I seen the phase, "If It Works First Time, There's Something Wrong!!!""

I totally missed your previous message and hadn't noticed the issue. I'll incorporate your changes and do more testing. Now, I'm concerned about what might else might go wrong if some of the menus/toolbars are not changed.

Later: This is a mess!! There are a lot of other settings that get changed as well. I'm working on it.
    Last edited by CALocklin; 05-25-2009 at 07:36 PM.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Cal Locklin

Later still:

OK, it should work now but I discovered some really weird stuff.

Here's what I found was changing on each tab of the Properties dialog. Chris, you may want to go back and check your forms to see if any of these other things have changed:

Page - all items
    Backdrop - Fill Style (colors/bitmap OK)
    Form - all items
    Printer -all items
    Window - all except Caption
    Data Entry - OK
    Help Entry - OK
    Filter/Order - OK

The really odd thing was that it doesn't seem necessary to reset anything! All that's necessary is to read one of the values into a variable. I tried this with 3 of the variables - one at a time - and it worked with all three. For example, just run this line:
    and comment out all the other lines that read or set those values and everything seems to be OK. Now that's just plain weird!

The update has been posted. (This is the same link as above - just added here for convenience.)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Mike Christensen

Cal,
    The basic concept may be easy but putting it all together so anybody can use it often takes far longer than setting up the basic routine.
    A statement like this becomes so very apparent to anyone who has tried to truly make something generic and bulletproof from something that on the surface is relatively easy. Wasn't that long ago I created a script--the PDF multi one.....asked to add to the Code archive and I did....it took well over twice as long to make it into a TRUE function (one that can exist as a stand-alone with relevant arguments with error traps). What you are doing is even more time intensive obviously. I, for one, really do appreciate it. Thanks.
    Mike

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Later still:

Here's what I found was changing on each tab of the Properties dialog. Chris, you may want to go back and check your forms to see if any of these other things have changed:

Page - all items
    Form - all items
    Printer -all items
    Data Entry - OK
    Help Entry - OK
    Filter/Order - OK

The really odd thing was that it doesn't seem necessary to reset anything! All that's necessary is to read one of the values into a variable. I tried this with 3 of the variables - one at a time - and it worked with all three. For example, just run this line:
    and comment out all the other lines that read or set those values and everything seems to be OK. Now that's just plain weird!

The update has been posted. (This is the same link as above - just added here for convenience.)

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Later still:

Page - all items
    Form - all items
    Printer -all items
    Data Entry - OK
    Help Entry - OK
    Filter/Order - OK

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Later still:

Page - all items
    Form - all items
    Printer -all items
    Data Entry - OK
    Help Entry - OK
    Filter/Order - OK

Real Name
    Rudy Pataky

Cal,

I too appreicate this effort you put forth on this routine. If I were you I would submit this routine to Alpha for inclusion consideration in the next upgrade. I would also submit similar routines for the Reports and Labels sections.

I also strongly agree that in order to present to a user with a simple solution, the underlying code can become very complex.

Again, thanks you for your effort on this issue,

Rudy

Real Name
    Chris Hawkes

I agree, very weird. Tried with my quick version, and it works OK.

This "simple" addin probably took me 2 hours initially, another 1/2 hour to set up the install routine, and another 2-1/2 hours to finesse. Not complaining - I enjoy the challenge. I'm just pointing it out for anyone who thinks these things are easy - after all, the basic routine above was really simple. The basic concept may be easy but putting it all together so anybody can use it often takes far longer than setting up the basic routine.
    ..... and it probably took another hour or two to fine tune and test after I mentioned the problem I had with it.

I really do hope that people appreciate what you and others on this board contribute to the Alpha community, I know I do.

Real Name
    Betty Hardin

Although this is an old post; I wonder if Cal's utility is available to work with v10 .. or if it has been implemented as a standard utility in v10?