Alpha Software Blog

Mobile Developers Listen Up: Business Apps Are Where the Money Is

If you're a mobile app developer, and wondering whether you should focus your attention on the consumer market or the enterprise market,  the answer is simple, at least if you're mainly interested in income. You should spend your time developing apps for enterprises. That's where the money is, and that's where you're most likely to succeed.

So concludes a report from VisionMobile's "State of the Developer Nation Q3 2014," an in-depth report about the latest trends in mobile app development.  The report is a wide-ranging one, based on a survey of more than 10,000 app developers,  and covers topics such as which app languages are most widely used, which platforms most widely used, best tools, and more.

An Income Breakdown

It doesn't paint a pretty picture of the economic life of app developers, finding that 50% of iOS developers and 64% of Android developers have income of under what the report calls the "app poverty line" of $500 per app per month. In fact, it says, 24% of developers don't make any money at all, and 23% make less than $100 per app per month. That's not quite as surprising as it sounds, because the report notes that approximately 35% of all app developers do it in their spare time or as a hobby.

For developers, it's a one-percenter's world, with 1.6% of developers having apps that earn more than $500,000 per month, collectively earning far more than the other 98.4% combined.

Think Enterprise

Enterprise developers, though, are considerably better off than those who develop for consumers. They are twice as likely as consumer-oriented developers to earn more than $5,000 per app per month, and nearly three times as likely to be earning $25,000 per app per month.

Despite that, 67% of mobile app developers are targeting consumers, while only 11% directly target businesses.  As for which platform is most lucrative, it's iOS rather than Android, with 35% of iOS developers  earning between 0 and $100 per app per month, and 49% of Android app developers earning between 0 and $100 per app per month.

The upshot of all this? The report concludes that there's an "untapped enterprise app opportunity." So if you're a developer looking to increase your revenue, take heed: The enterprise market is where the gold is.

How can I make my own app?

Prev Post Image
Three Lessons Business Developers Can Learn From Consumer Mobile Apps
Next Post Image
Wow - I did not know that Alpha Anywhere could do that!

About Author

Dion McCormick
Dion McCormick

Dion McCormick, Lead Solutions Engineer at Alpha Software, is a recognized expert on agile application development. He helps enterprise development teams around the world transition from slow legacy approaches to high-performance mobile, web, and desktop development using the Alpha Anywhere platform.

Related Posts
Top Security Concerns for Low-code and No-code Development
Top Security Concerns for Low-code and No-code Development
Digitize Paper Forms: Definitive Guide [2024] - Alpha Software
Digitize Paper Forms: Definitive Guide [2024] - Alpha Software
What Are Super Apps? Get the Facts
What Are Super Apps? Get the Facts

The Alpha platform is the only unified mobile and web app development and deployment environment with distinct “no-code” and “low-code” components. Using the Alpha TransForm no-code product, business users and developers can take full advantage of all the capabilities of the smartphone to turn any form into a mobile app in minutes, and power users can add advanced app functionality with Alpha TransForm's built-in programming language. IT developers can use the Alpha Anywhere low-code environment to develop complex web or mobile business apps from scratch, integrate data with existing systems of record and workflows (including data collected via Alpha TransForm), and add additional security or authentication requirements to protect corporate data.