What Enterprise App Developers Can Learn From Consumer Apps (New Research)
When using B2B and B2E apps, employees, customers and partners want the same high-quality, intuitive user experiences they’ve come to expect with their consumer apps. Business app developers need to understand these high expectations and give careful attention to user experience or they risk failing.
Analysts Vishal Tripathi, Jessica Ekholm , and Adrian Leow of Gartner mimic this advice to their enterprise clients in the September report,”What Enterprise App Developers Can Learn from Consumer Apps.” The report shares new survey data that gives evidence of growing “app fatigue” among mobile users. The research identifies that:
- 41% of users are not downloading more apps.
- 20% are downloading fewer apps
- 45% of respondents do not enjoy finding and trying out new apps.
Some of the other findings of the report, include:
- IT departments are under pressure to build more web and mobile apps faster than ever before.
- Often, enterprise developers assume that B2E or B2B apps don’t need to be visually appealing or offer excellent user experience because the focus is on function not design.
- Poor user experience design leads to low app adoption and user retention.
- Most enterprises lack a user experience design team and lack the experience necessary to hire the right UX staff.
The analysts recommend that enterprise app developers:
- Design with a consumer mindset
- Focus on quality user experience to avoid “app fatigue”
- Balance app security and convenience
- Apply behavioral app analytics tools to improve usability
- Outsource to gain necessary expertise, when appropriate
Gartner clients can access the full report here.