The State of Mobile Development
A new (yet another) research report (this one from Research Now) has just come out re mobile enterprise apps.
Demand for mobile business apps continues to rise. The stakes are high for mobilizing enterprise with very real benefits to be had by custom mobile apps. Let's look at some of the gains mobile apps will bring in the key findings of this latest study which was aimed at Senior Mobile developers and IT managers in companies in the USA with over 500 employees.
- 97 percent of CIOs have high hopes for what mobile applications can do for their business.
- 76 percent of CIOs are looking to mobile to reduce costs.
- 64 percent of CIO's are looking for mobile to increase employee productivity.
The Cost of Mobile Apps
Everyone wants to go mobile to stay competitive and mobilize their workforce. However getting there is turning out to be "costly, slow, and frustrating."
The data to support this finding is as follows:
- 56 percent of mobile leaders surveyed say it takes from 7 months to well over 1 year to build an app.
- 50 percent of CIOs think the process takes too long
App Development Road Blocks
The top three reasons CIOs cite for not achieving their mobile goals are:
- The costs are too high (the average app is costing $270K to build.)
- The time to build the apps is too long.
- The lack of the right tools and lack of people with the skills.
The net result of all of this is that large corporations have, according to Gartner " built less than 10 apps versus the 1,750 to 3,500 mobile apps that they need to develop and manage in the next five years"
Clearly there are major challenges and these are the challenges that we at alpha are dedicated to meeting with Alpha Anywhere with its unique strengths that allow for mobile enterprise apps to be built rapidly and cost effectively.