The world of mobile development is much more complex than desktop development, and therefore approaches that leverage your existing manpower are more important than ever.(Be sure to check out the videos below.)
As a result, interest in RAD or RMAD (Rapid Mobile Application Development) is escalating because companies and developers understand the value and importance of RAD more than ever. In fact Gartner is predicting that RMAD could account for more than 50% of all mobile development in the coming years.
The best mobile apps don’t simply take desktop apps and allow them to run on a mobile device (a web app). Instead, they offer great user experiences and high performance on mobile devices that:
- Have a wide range of smaller screen sizes
- Employ variety of different operating systems
- May or may not have an internet connection (including dealing with intelligent hierarchical conflict resolution when synching)
- Do not have physical keyboards, but employ a virtual keyboard that must share real estate with the screen)
- Have less processing horsepower than desktop PCs
- Have new capabilities including photos, ink, sound, video and geo-location
- Have scanners, detectors and their own file system
- Require users to have 1 hand tied up holding the device and only one hand or finger available to input information (requires fundamental rethinking of data entry controls)
RAD: A Note of CautionHowever, with the existing Rapid Application Development (RAD) tools and platforms on the market, it’s important to select a tool that not only promises more productivity, but won’t run out of steam, when things like security, data integration, rich user experiences, specialized customization or rich data capture are needed.
RMADS that get you 95% towards your destination are a problem. You need a 100% solution. A 950 foot bridge is good but not good enough if a ravine is 1000 feet!
You need total confidence that the RMAD you select gives you the freedom to add code (client- or server-side using standards) whenever necessary, so that when critical capabilities are needed, your platform won’t run out of steam. The RMAD you select must be able to accomplish the full list of capabilities I’ve outlined above, so that it can meet the requirements of any business app your organization needs.
Alpha Anywhere was uniquely destined to avoid the "running out of steam" problem.Check out these two videos (the first is shorter and second is longer) that gives you a sense of how Alpha Anywhere will always allow you to complete the mission. Finally rapid application develoment with the assurance that – no matter how complex the application – your team will never hit the wall.
Video: Alpha Anywhere RAD Overview
Video: Technical Deep Dive of Alpha's RAD Features