In many ways data is the lifeblood of corporations, governments, educational and other non profit organizations.
A key aspect of how this data is "born" and gets used has been and will continue to be forms. Forms remain the quintessential method of capturing critical data to feed into back-end systems of record/databases, and are filled in millions of times each day globally.
With the majority of people on the planet now having a computing device on hand at all times (i.e. smartphones,) businesses, governments and non-profit agencies are now looking to upgrade their paper forms to more valuable digital forms (with new kinds of data - images, video, sound, GPS location/time stamps etc.,) that can be accessed from smart phones with a wide variety of screen sizes (some very small.)
However it is important to take note of the fact that there is an enormous difference between regular mobile forms apps and enterprise-grade mobile forms apps. A simple regular mobile forms app can be useful in pockets of an organization, where the richness and sophistication of the form is low, where data integration with corporate databases and system of records isn't required and where security and authentication is not a pressing concern. Once you go beyond that, "enterprise-grade" becomes a critical descriptor to understand.
Based on our work with major enterprises and organizations, we've assembled a checklist of enterprise-grade requirements for mobile forms apps.
Enterprise-Grade mobile forms apps:
- Need to operate when there is no signal. (In real-world usage, there are many situations where there is no signal, signal is weak/intermittent or it is not usable/slow because too many people are logging in - at conferences, on trains etc.)
- Need flexible deployment - on a cloud outside a firewall, in-house inside a firewall or on a private cloud
- Need to have arbitrarily complex multi-table relational data structures that can reflect real world data requirements (inspection reports, health records, maintenance histories etc.)
- Need to operate smoothly, intuitively and easily under the most technically challenging use case - i.e. on a small mobile device with limited screen real-estate - i.e.smartphones. It is important to emphasize that making digital forms run well on phones is so critical because they are 1oX more prevalent than tablets
- Need to have a rich API so that they seamlessly and easily can integrate and inter-operate with any back-end enterprise systems (SAP, Oracle, Sales Force, IBM etc) or SQL and no SQL databases
- Need to support enterprise grade security and authentication
- Need to be able to build "dispatch" applications where data from some corporate system such as SAP, SaleForce, Oracle, Sharepoint etc can be used to pre-populate certain fields in the form
- Need to be easily extensible into a general purpose low code system so that there are no limits regarding what can be done with the data
In addition there two other important requirements:
1) Line of business professionals should be able to build these enterprise-grade mobile forms apps themselves because they have the desire to do so, they have the domain knowledge, they know exactly what they need in terms of the apps functionality and they also often have the requirement to modify the app on the fly.
2) They also need to be able to build and modify these apps quickly (minutes vs weeks or longer,) because app development is NOT their primary job.
(Note - the data collected in the forms needs to be integrated into back-end systems by IT/developers because they are the group who typically (and for good reasons) wants to control the info that gets written and extracted from corporate databases and systems of record.)
Getting data accurately and quickly entered via smartphones, and extracted to or from core systems of record is so fundamental to modern business, that it is worth taking the time to consider whether "enterprise grade" forms are what you need.
Two other key requirements you should consider are the skill level needed to build enterprise-grade forms and the time it takes build these forms.
The understanding of what is required by enterprises in terms building information collection and dispatch apps drove us to create Alpha Transform which allows people who do not know how to code to build these kinds of enterprise-grade forms/applications 20-30 minutes.