While many organizations are rushing to develop field service apps, many of these apps initially fail because they do not include critical features and capabilities necessary to make field workers productive on a mobile device. To showcase important mobile app features and an outstanding user experience now required in modern field service apps, the team at Alpha Software built a sample mobile inspection app that developers can modify or reference for their mobile app projects.
Inspection Solutions is an Alpha Software mobile business app designed for inspectors who need to inspect construction vehicles in the field; however, the app showcases functionality relevant to many other field apps. The app includes critical features now required in modern field services apps, such as offline capability, bar code scanning, voice annotation and digital ink. It is a native-quality hybrid app created using the Alpha Anywhere V4 rapid mobile application development and deployment platform. While targeted for use on an inexpensive tablet -- in this case an 8" Android tablet from Acer -- it works just as well on higher end Android models. In addition, while optimized for tablets, the Inspections Solutions app is responsive and can be easily modified to work on smartphones.
After opening the app, users scan QR codes (using their device's camera) to look up properties about the vehicles they are scanning. (A sheet of six QR codes for different types of vehicles is supplied with the app so users can walk through the user experience for different types of vehicles.) Data about the vehicles are stored in a client-side data cache that comes with the application.
Users then see an intuitive interface optimized for a remote worker who must capture detailed inspection data using one-hand or finger.
The Alpha Software sample field inspection app features:
- The ability to take and annotate pictures, and you can dictate free-form notes using the devices built-in speech to text (voice annotation) capability or mark-up those pictures using digital ink.
- An in-app checklist that features customized controls for easy data input and capture, including large Pass/Fail buttons that are easy to tap - and the ability to swipe left or right between screens of inspection questions.
- Access to the device hardware to store data and rich media files
- The ability to work offline.
Current Alpha Anywhere customers can download the source code for this construction equipment inspection app from Alpha Software’s Github account and use it in their own organizations. Developers can make modifications to this sample inspection app directly from Alpha Anywhere. If you like this app, but need assistance modifying it for your specific needs, the Alpha Software Professional Services Group can help.
Not an Alpha Anywhere customer? Learn how you can get access to this inspection app.
Through its work with Customers, Alpha Software has learned that inspection apps lead the way towards the digital transformation of enterprises. Alpha Software offers inspection apps for a host of industries. For example, some of our recent inspection apps include:
- A maintenance and inspection app for offline oil platforms
- An inspection app for construction equipment
- A punch list inspection app for construction jobs
- A building inspection app